Work package 4:
Distributed DER Registry
Applications for Energy Management Services (EMS) require discovery mechanisms to be able to find and use DERs. The discovery mechanisms let services and devices become aware of each other automatically, i.e. without explicit human administration. Discovery mechanisms and processes require a registry to find information about DERs. As we consider application of OS4ES in large scale deployments in terms of e.g. number of DERs, energy management services as well as geographic spread, a centrally operated registry is not expected to be feasible.
Therefore this work package researches, defines and develops a Distributed DER Registry, and starts with a research task on distributed registry systems. This WP will develop and define the registration of individual components at the overall system level by means of a System Registry. Advertisement and discovery (through the registry) is critical in manageability and scalability of a system. The system registry will enable smart grid actors to use DERs in smart grid services by means of advertising and discovering DERs and their capabilities through the use of the system registry functionality.
The development includes:
- Managing the addressing (in the sense of communication) of existing and new energy management services and DERs.
- Searching, finding and pairing DERs/EMSs according to different multiple criteria (e.g. cost-efficiency, reliability, security etc.)
- Developing architectures, semantic models and algorithms for distributed control and routing of the DERs
- Taking into account requirements on security and privacy
A registry where DERs are registered is needed:
- to enable energy management services to find and select DERs that can be used for the intended service
- to enable the middleware to select/use the required adapter/driver to interface with the DER
- to make it possible for a DER to register/publish/change its capabilities without the system to be reconfigured
This work package will apply the requirements and architecture input from WP1. Aspects related to communications will be coordinated with WP2 and WP3.